Wednesday, January 5, 2011

New Years Eve 2010

I should preface this post by saying that Chuck and I never go out on New Years Eve....NEVER, EVER!!!!! Even when we were youngins' we never rang in the New Year with so much as one eyeball open.

This year we missed our annual trip to Longwood Gardens to see their gorgeous Christmas displays, so we decided to go on New Years Eve day. So to us, this trip was more about Christmas then it was New Years and because we were going at 2 in the afternoon, we thought it would be empty. You know, everyone would be home sleeping getting ready for the big night. Boy were we wrong. It was not terribly crowded when we arrived at 2 p.m. but soon after the crowds grew at an alarming rate. As we arrived and probably because I had been trapped in the house by the aforementioned snow, I spoke (really spoke) to every single person I passed. I was pretty excited to be out and about, mingling with people again. The first hour went by quickly then it was 3 p.m. and time for dinner. Yes we are old and we eat like old people.

We ate at the 1906 Restaurant inside Longwood Gardens. We both got the Roasted Chicken Demi-Glace, with Black Garlic Olive Oil Mashed Potatoes. The dish came with smoked Brussel Sprouts, which by the way I like....who knew!!! When I ran out of mashed potatoes half way through my chicken breast, I asked the very sweet waitress if she could bring me a teeny bit more to finish the chicken breast. I really wanted another whole portion and she did not disappoint, bringing me a huge portion topped with "Black Garlic". For those of you who are not familiar with black garlic, it is garlic, cooked for 40 days, at 100 degrees. It is creamy, sweet and delicious. That means they started cooking part of my dinner the third week of November, wow. Mashed potatoes are a whole other story, I could live on those and have been know to order a menu item just because it came with mashed potatoes. I forgot to take a picture of dinner but I did get a picture of desert and it was delish......

 
Mascarpone Cheesecake
Soft Lady’s Fingers, Macerated Berries, Crème Anglaise

One of the first pictures we took, pretty wreath.....
a really nice man offered to take this one....
we usually use the timer.....
I am not going to mention that we kinda' dismantled this wreath during the taking of this picture!!!

so incredibly georgeous.....
I am not going to mention that no one would move so I could get this picture.....

best shot of the day....another pretty tree.....

pretty outdoor lights.......

and fireworks........

The end........with a bang!!!!!  (smile)......


No comments: