Thursday, July 18, 2024

Knee Deep In Weeds

 Weeds or Wildflowers, who decides?
I read that "no weed is considered a weed until a human decides it is causing a problem".
Interesting, right?


This is Elderberry
I thought it was Queen Anne's Lace they look similar but are differentiated by hairy stems. 
Queen Anne's Lace has them, Elderberry does not.


These are Wild Iris, not a weed.


Elderberry
is considered both a pesky weed and a fruit producing wild edible.


Bearded Foxglove
I was surprised to read that this is not a weed, because I saw it amongst the weeds.
It is a pretty plant attractive to butterflies, hummingbirds and bees.

Ornamental Grass Plumes - they always looks pretty in a picture.


The Oxeye Daisy is considered a weed!


We have had a few evening storms and it is supposed to cool off some today.
Let's hope so...

14 comments:

Alicia said...

I think they are all beautiful. I follow a Youtube channel and they live in Norway and they found out this year after taking tours of beautiful gardens in England that weeds should be left there and not removed, so now they are leaving their weeds and their garden is beautiful.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Your first sentence makes a lot of sense. I would declare them all flowers, this, my weeding is done!

JoAnna said...

My grandmother used to make wonderful juice from elderberries, which helped a lot with colds and flu. Generally, I love nature, I love "royal" plants and weeds - they are all beautiful. All the best, Debbie!

Latane Barton said...

Well, that makes a lot of sense. Nothing is a useless weed unless it is not beautiful and I've seen some beautiful weeds!

DrumMajor said...

Pretty! The wild iris looks like a Van Gogh painting. Some grasses are supposed to be left near shorelines and beaches to prevent erosion. Interesting how nature plans placement usually better than humans. Linda in Kansas

Marie Smith said...

Love the bloom, wild or otherwise.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Wildflowers this year are spectacular!
Daylilies are especially abundant in this area of Vermont.

Soma @ InkTorrents.com said...

My husband I had the same conversation. I could never call a flower weed, they are always wild flowers to me. Thanks for pointing our the difference between Elderberry and Queen Anne's Lace. I am hoping to grow Elderberry in the garden. These are so pretty, Debbie!

-Soma

Susie said...

Debbie, Your weeds are much prettier than mine. LOL I enjoyed seeing all of them. But I hate weeds in my yard. I have a long way to go to be rid of them too. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

BeachGypsy said...

Today's pictures are gorgeous, Debbie!!! I love wild flower weeds!!!

eileeninmd said...

I would say they are wildflowers, beautiful too.
I love them all! Take care, enjoy your day and happy weekend!

Jeanie said...

They are all lovely -- and all flowers to me!

Anonymous said...

Be they weeds or not, they flower beautifully.

All the best Jan
https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

Conniecrafter said...

They are only a weed to me if they take over everything and are a menace. you got me thinking about my Dad, he didn't mind at all to have a lawn full of dandelions, when I got older I asked him about it, and he said I know people fight to keep them out of their lawns, but I think they are very pretty, why would i work to get rid of them :)