Friday, February 7, 2020

It's A Good "Week" To Be A Duck

It's been cloudy, gloomy and the rain keeps falling...
it's a good time to be a duck!


At Lake of the Lilies, there are a lot of cross breed ducks...
ducks that resemble Mallards, but aren't pure bred.
When I was there on January 23rd, I photographed this duck with a white bib in the front, 
instead of the neck ring that a pure bred Mallard has.
The head looked blue at all angles.
The colors and feather pattern in the body are different.
It's shape and size are that of a Mallard.


This is a pure bred Mallard.





This is another interbreed Mallard, 
with the white bib in the front and the same differences I noted in the first duck.

Here he is showing off for the camera.
It has been a really good week to be a duck, the ducks and I are hoping for sunshine tomorrow!

10 comments:

Brian King said...

I've seen some funky variations, but never a blue head. Beautiful color! Mallards like to show off!

eileeninmd said...

Hello Debbie, beautiful shots of the ducks. The last shot is awesome. I have seen similar inter breed ducks. Enjoy your day, have a great weekend!

Changes in the wind said...

That duck was indeed showing off for the camera and you caught it perfectly.

Marie Smith said...

I’ve never seen such interbreed ducks. Great find, Debbie.

Susie said...

Such pretty ducks. Debbie, you got some very good pictures of them. Hope you are doing well. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Ruth Hiebert said...

Great pictures. Can't wait till those Mallards show up here, although I know it will be a few months yet.

Conniecrafter said...

I hope you got that sunshine, I usually hope for sunshine but since my eye is so darn light sensitive right now I am ok with the cloudy days.
I didn't know that the ducks would breed with others like that, sure makes for some interesting pictures doesn't it, love the one of him showing off :) Have a great weekend!

Lowcarb team member said...

I'm sure that ducks don't mind the rain!
Lovely photographs.

All the best Jan

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Ducks don’t seem to be too particular in their breeding habits! These ones are all handsome fellows ... I really liked the last action shot a lot!

LeAnn said...

I love your duck photos and these are beautiful. We have some ducks that live across the street in a canal. Two days ago three of them came for a visit to our front porch. I did get some photos but not like yours. Our Sammy wanted to go see them badly.
Blessings and hugs!