Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Let's Cook Some Comfort Food!!

Here's what's cooking...

"Awesome Beef Stew"
That's what I wrote on the recipe card.
This is so good, I will never use another recipe, ever again.
I can't remember where I found the recipe,
I was not able to "Pin" it, so I printed it out, 
and boy am I glad I did.

* 3 tablespoons of olive oil
* 2 pounds of stew meat
* 1 medium onion, diced (I used 1/2 bag of frozen pearl onions)
* 3 cloves of garlic, minced
* 4 cups of beef stock
* 2 cups of water
* 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
* 2 tablespoons tomato paste
* 1 15 ounce can of petite diced tomatoes
* 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* Fresh ground pepper to taste
* 2 teaspoons of brown sugar
* 3 whole carrots, sliced in to 1 inch slices
* 2 stalks of celery, cut into 1 inch pieces
* 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes (I used 3)
* 3 tablespoons of flour

1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Brown meat in two batches, setting aside on a plate once browned.
2. Add onion to pot, cook until softened. Add garlic, 1 minute until fragrant.
3. Pour in beef stock, diced tomatoes (with juice), worcestershire, tomato paste, paprika, s&p, and sugar. I added the water here, only 1 cup.
4. Add beef back into pot, stir to combine. 
5. Cover and simmer for 1 - 1 1/2 hours. (I cooked this for 2 hours)
5. Add carrots, celery and potatoes, cover and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
6. Spoon 3 tablespoons of flour into a small bowl, add a few ladles of stew liquid. Blend with fork until fully incorporated (no lumps). Add to stew pot to thicken the gravy. Repeat if necessary until desired thickness is reached.
7. Check seasonings, serve with fresh hot rolls or bread, there is a lot of gravy.

                       Sharing with Stephanie at The Enchanting Rose

17 comments:

♥ Łucja-Maria ♥ said...

Debbie
all the ingredients of this soup indicate that it is: Hungarian goulash soup.
Yes. It is delicious. I still Add fresh chopped peppers.
You can cook more and freeze. You have a second dinner ready.
Greetings from Poland.
Lucia

Sally said...

YUM!!! That looks and sounds so delish! I'm going to copy and paste so I'll have it!

xoxo

21 Wits said...

Oh goodness yes, this is so delicious!

TexWisGirl said...

sounds good for a cold day. :)

Brian King said...

Oh, yes! Looks very good!

Lowcarb team member said...

Looks scrumptious!
Just right for the cooler months ...

All the best Jan

Lowcarb team member said...

Looks scrumptious!
Just right for the cooler months ...

All the best Jan

Gillian Olson said...

Looks great and is it ever comfort food season!

Linda said...

I made potato soup soup tonight but beef stew is on my horizon!!! Your recipe sounds delicious!!!!

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Sounds hearts warming

eileeninmd said...

Hello, this recipe sounds yummy! A great meal for a cold day. Thanks for sharing the recipe, Debbie.

Enjoy your day!

Conniecrafter said...

I am not really a big soup or stew person myself but my hubby likes it, I have been thinking of meals to make when our daughter comes, maybe this is something I could make, tfs!

Cathy H. said...

I've been looking for some good winter meals. This sounds delicious!

LeAnn said...

Thanks for this recipe. It looks delicious and I will have to try it for sure. Hugs~

Ida said...

Looks delicious. This would be good here this week with our cold, rainy weather we're having.

Stephanie said...

YUM! Do you think I could make meatballs and use them in place of the stew meat? This would be perfect for supper tonight :)

Thanks for joining Roses of Inspiration. It's always a delight to have you at the party.

Robyn said...

I love a good beef stew and this is an awesome recipe, Debbie. I think it's my favourite comfort food. I love that it freezes so well, too.
Thanks for a great dish!