Tuesday, April 9, 2024

The Great Egrets Have Returned

In my last post I talked about my visit to,

The Edwin B. Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge

"This refuge center is about an hours drive from home and one of the best I have ever visited.
It protects more than 48,000 acres of southern New Jerseys coastal habitats and wetlands.
There are several hiking trails and one 8 mile wildlife drive, 
where you can stay in your car and observe the wildlife from the comfort of your vehicle.
You are permitted to leave your car to take pictures.
There were so many reeds and so much vegetation growing along the shoreline,
it was difficult, at times, to get good, if any, pictures.
They have a recorded bird list with over 360 species sighted.
I took over 400 pictures when we visited this past Easter Sunday, 
so I have a lot to share and will be sharing them over a period of time."

The Great Egrets
A stately, pure white, heron-like bird.

Most of the ones I saw had long back plumes and green just around their eyes,
indicating it's breeding season.





We saw at least 20 Egrets, in the water and up in the grasses.
I was surprised to see so many in the grasses and not in the water fishing.
I have a lot more pictures to share.

9 comments:

The Furry Gnome said...

Great pictures as always! But you also know so many interesting places to go.

Marie Smith said...

Great captures. I look forward to more, Debbie.

Breathtaking said...

Hello Debbie :=)
This seems like a good place to see wildlife, and you got some fantastic images of the Great Egrets.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Debbie,
I love seeing the Egrets, they are so elegant.
Beautiful series of photos.
Take care, have a great day!

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

The frogs, snakes and small fish will not sleep well tonight knowing that their arch enemy is back on the marsh!

Pat said...

We have quite a few Blue Herons. I loved them until I discovered they eat my baby ducks. Egrets do too.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Great Egrets are so pretty in their breeding plumage. I've been trying to get the perfect picture of one for a while -- I want it to have that eye and those "fluffy" feathers (I bet you know what I mean). I'm missing an egret on my wall of bird pictures and it really is one of my favorite birds. Thanks for sharing all your perfect pictures in the meantime )))

Lowcarb team member said...

Lovely to see the Great Egrets in your photographs.

All the best Jan

Swetha said...

Great pictures as always! But you also know so many interesting places to go.

institutes in hyderabad for java