Saturday, April 13, 2024

Saturday Critters #539

We took a drive to the inlet last week for a change in scenery.


I immediately saw several Common Loons right in the inlet, close to the inlet wall.
Loons are elegant waterbirds, with a long pointed bill held horizontally or slightly elevated.

Although I did not intend to, I got out of the car and took some pictures.

You get a lot of this, they are diving waterbirds, they appear for a second then dive very quickly.


This is a Loons summer appearance, I usually see them in winter and they look completely different.
According to the bird field book I use, Loons are not present in this area during the summer.

A Loon utters a wailing cry and eering yodeling sound - if you've heard it, you know it.

From the car, I could see this commercial shipping boat way off in the distance.
I waited patiently...I knew it was coming into the inlet.
 

Maria Noelle coming in after what I am sure was a long journey at sea.




"Tradition" a little bit smaller was going out to sea.



Virginia Reel was coming in...


I enjoy watching the boats here, the Loon was a bonus!

Sharing today's images with Eileen at 
Viewing Nature With Eileen 
for Saturday Critters

13 comments:

karen said...

Hi Debbie your long time follower. I was wondering about your butterfly bush that the contractor cut down by accident. Hope its growing back. I bought 2 & today I'll plant them..

eileeninmd said...

Hello Debbie,
I always enjoy your sightings and photos. Awesome captures of the Loon, they are pretty birds. It is nice to see them come up close too. Great photos of the fishing boats! You had a nice day out at the inlet. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and a happy weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Debbie said...

hi karen...i remember you and have missed you!! the butterfly bush did come back and it is huge right now. i love the color, it is hard to describe, a florescent pinkish/purple!! i have 3 others, all straight up purple. 2 i bought and one thanks to the birds!!

The Furry Gnome said...

Love the boats, but great shot of the Loon too!

BeachGypsy said...

I think those black and white loons are so pretty! Love the patterns on their feathers. We love to sit and watch the boats come in too! Love to WATCH---- never want to go out in one ! LOL

Penelope Notes said...

Wonderful shots of the loon and surrounding water. The first ship seems to have wings with its ropes spread out!

RedPat said...

Wonderful shots of the loon. I love their call.

Marie Smith said...

Great bonus too. Love the boats! Our lobster season begins at the end of the month.

carol l mckenna said...

awesome water shots with the feathered friends and great fishing boats ~ Wow! Well done. hugs,


Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Although not common where we are now, we used to see/hear them every day when we lived on the lake. There is no sound out the in wild that is more majestic than the call of the loon.

Elizabeth Edwards said...

hey debbie, great to see you, i love your profile picture. great shot of you and your husband. i love loons, we tend to find spots where they are and travel there just to hear their tunes. they really are interesting birds. you can learn so much about them, so many tidbits. spring has sprung for sure here in VA. lots of sneezing and trying to keep things not so green because of the pollen i mean there. i got flowers and i hope they will continue to be okay since i got them a bit early, you get all excited and purchase early and hope no more cooler weather, i've got my bday in may and i get them to celebrate my day, as a present for myself. i love doing that each year. take care. and thanks again, i love seeing bloggy friends. always a blessing. be well. ( :

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The boats and buildings are neat to see and I don't think I've ever seen a Loon. I wonder if it sounds like what I imagine! Hugs!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Beautiful seaside pictures and "although I did not intend to get out of the car" sounds an awful lot like something I might say. Getting out would have been preceded by "Stop the car" -- a screech my patient husband is quite familiar with! (I sure would have screeched that if we saw those beautiful loons!) Thanks for sharing!!