Saturday, November 25, 2023

Saturday Critters #519

During a recent drive around Lake of the Lilies I was thrilled to see a few of my favorite birds and ducks.
The Herons spend their winters here in New Jersey and there is one that lives at the lake,
we almost always see it when we visit!




We only see the Mergansers during the cold weather and they have arrived for their winter stay with us.
I saw a huge group of both males and females. 
They were way out in the middle of the lake and this image is heavily cropped.

The Male American Wigeon
They were the first of the winter ducks to arrive, several weeks ago.


And last but not least, The Mute Swans
I have been trying to get a picture like this for my entire adult life, and it finally happened.
Can you believe the "photo bomb"...it almost looks like it is smirking at me!


Sharing today's images with Eileen at 
Viewing Nature With Eileen 
for Saturday Critters

14 comments:

acorn hollow said...

Beautiful pictures
Cathy

Breathtaking said...

Hello Debbie :=)
The heart that the swans make when they put their beaks together is something I have never achieved a photo of, so well done for getting one, even with the photo bomber, it's a lovely photo.

I enjoyed seeing all your photos of the ducks and Heron Debbie especially since I don't live anywhere near a lake. Thank you.
Have a great Weekend.
All the best
Sonjia.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Those are all so beautiful! The widgeon has to be my favorite, followed by the swan. They have a season for swans in North Dakota, but I will not hunt them.

Rian said...

Debbie, I have an old Nikon digital that I hardly use anymore since the iPhones. But you make me want to start taking real pics again. Yours are so beautiful.

Marie Smith said...

Love that swan “heart.” I last saw herons here the last week of October. Love those birds. Great photos as always, Debbie. I’ll contact you if I have trouble with the order. Thank you for the offer of help.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
Love the series on the GB Heron. It looks like a juvenile, they have a duller looking crown. The Hooded Mergansers and the Wigeon are favorites too. Your swan photos are beautiful, love the heart. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

A smirker for sure. Still a nice photo of a funny bird bomb.

DeniseinVA said...

These are beautiful birds lovingly captured. It is always a very happy moment to come across these birds. I always have the same lift when I see them on the deck.

RedPat said...

The swan shot is wonderful even with the intruder.

Kay said...

Your photos are always amazing, Debbie. Wouldn't you like to photoshop that 'photo bomber' out of there. LOL!

Breathtaking said...

Ah you are so welcome Debbie.

Lowcarb team member said...

Lovely photographs, that last one is amazing :)

All the best Jan

DrumMajor said...

Bet you can photo shop Mr. Smirker out of the photo? Beautiful! Linda in Kansas

Conniecrafter said...

Looks like a great day at the Lake, I love the picture where it looks like the swans are making a heart!