Wednesday, September 27, 2023

The Carousel At Pier Village

 Riding carousels at The Jersey Shore is chesseled in my memory as I grew up here.
It is the only ride I ever enjoyed...
I don't enjoy anything scary, or thrilling, I just enjoy riding around in circles with colorful animals.
Carousels have a long history here...doing a little research I learned that
since as early as 1909, there has always been a carousel at the pier in Long Branch, NJ.
The pier and carousel were destroyed by a storm in 1944, then only two remained at the Jersey Shore.
In 1970 new interest developed in the carousels of yesteryear 
 and this hand carved carousel was unveiled in 1999 at the rebuilt pier at Pier Village.
As you can see from the photographs, not only can you ride a horse but also sea themed animals,
like a dolphin, a fish, a pelican, a sea horse and more.





















The carousel is housed in a covered pavilion and encased in glass
 functioning for all seasons with heat in the winter.
It is open year round.

12 comments:

BeachGypsy said...

I have always loved carousels Debbie, so love this post ! These are beautifully done! The horse is GORGEOUS! I see a swan for you and I love sea horses! We took our grands for their very first carousel rides. A long time ago

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Wow! Gorgeous photos!
Thank you for the smiles

I had many a happy time riding the carasol at Asbury Park back in 1964, catching a brass ring.

Debbie said...

salty pumpkin...this is in long branch, i don't know if you knew that. very close to asbury park which has changed so much since the 60's. long branch has as well!!

Rian said...

Beautiful pictures, Debbie!
I grew up riding the Carousel in City Park (New Orleans). Don't know if it's still there. Loved it. I remember once when I was little, watching my older brother and cousin jump on the carousel and then jump off again while it was running. When I jumped off following them, my leg slid under it... and my brother luckily pulled me out quickly before any damage was done.

Marie Smith said...

The carousel critters are beauties indeed, Debbie. How wonderful people can ride all year long.

The Furry Gnome said...

Love the frog!

DrumMajor said...

That is absolutely beautiful! I'd ride a jillon times so I could try each critter! Linda in Kansas

eileeninmd said...

Beautiful carousel and I love all the different critters.
The dolphins and the fish are cute. Take care, enjoy your day!

Lowcarb team member said...

Wow!
Absolutely fabulous photographs.

All the best Jan

Linda said...

There's just something magical about a carousel!!

Conniecrafter said...

I am with you I don't need a thrilling ride, might be because I have suffered with motion sickness all my life, so neat they have brought this back and kept it going all these years!

DeniseinVA said...

One of the nicest carousels I have ever seen.