Saturday, August 19, 2023

Saturday Critters #505

 We went to The Safari at Great Adventure yesterday, I needed critter pictures for this post.
We go kind of often, not into the park or for the rides...
just to drive through the safari in our car "4 wheel drive off road rig" 
and we like having season passes so we can see the special events in the fall and at Christmas.

Every time we go we see something different, Friday was no exception.
It seems the Ostrich are on their nests right now, we saw several...
heating up some eggs and others who have hatched some pretty adorable babies.


This Ostrich was sitting on a nest, I presume with eggs, the nests are made from sand.


I wonder if these eggs had been abandon here, this area did not look like the other sandy nests we saw.
Ostrich eggs are the largest eggs, 
weighing about 3 pounds, measuring about 6 inches in length and 5 inches across.
Only dinosaur eggs were larger.


Here are the chicks, they were so adorable.
When they hatch, they are about the size of barnyard chickens and grow at a rate of 1 foot per month.


We saw 4...


2 were having trouble getting up and walking, I wonder if they had hatched on this day.


Their markings and coloring were so pretty!


This one was mid-sized, a "teen" perhaps.
I don't usually pay much attention to the Ostrich in the park, but today, 
I could not take my eyes off of them.

Sharing today's images with Eileen at 
Viewing Nature With Eileen 
for Saturday Critters

12 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello Debbie,
A visit to the Great Adventure's Safari looks like a fun time. I enjoy your series on the Ostrich. It is neat seeing the eggs, the chicks are cute and the teen looks like it was showing off. Great post and photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I just kept oooohing and ahhhhing over those chicks. I've never seen them and love their markings! They look like they should be a stuffed toy!

RedPat said...

Those chicks are so cute to see. They look so gangly.

DeniseinVA said...

This sounds like a lot of fun and your photos are great. Those ostrich chick are adorable!

Rian said...

Love your pics as usual, Debbie.

Marie Smith said...

Adorable chicks…er ostriches. Great photos!

Shiju Sugunan said...

Your Ostrich series is a delight! Great shots!

♥ Łucja-Maria ♥ said...

Dear Debbie!
I admire your excellent photos. I am glad that I could see these wonderful creatures. I've never seen them in nature.
Have a nice Sunday:)

Linda said...

How neat to see the chicks! They must eat a lot to grow so fast.

♥ Liz ♥ said...

Those chicks are adorable ♥

Villrose said...

A lovely series with chicks and nests!

Conniecrafter said...

Oh how fun to see the little ones, I did not know that their eggs are just hatched in the sand, very interesting. I sure hope the momma to the one eggs was just busy getting something to eat or stretching her legs :)