Tuesday, May 22, 2018

How Does Your Garden Grow...

The vegetable garden I started indoors with seeds, has now been transplanted outdoors.
We bought all new pots this year...
the ones I have been using for years were pretty dirty, 
and a few fell apart when we lifted them to replace the soil.
I went with black because I couldn't find plain white ones like the ones I had.
Except on-line, Amazon had the same square white ones, but I would have to wait,
and since we were ready to go, I bought these black ones,
on the cheap at Walmart.
I actually think black might work out better...for the "dirty" factor,
and these were so inexpensive that if they only last a few years, that will be fine.
I was not satisfied with lasts years garden,
when I googled why it may now have produced well,
 and thought about it...I realized that
I have been using the same soil for many years and that could be the reason for the poor results.
So I started with new pots, all new miracle grow soil 
and my own plants, started from seeds, that grew well indoors.

I enjoy starting with seeds, for me, it is so much more rewarding.


I am growing mostly tomatoes, several different varieties...



This pot has one tomato plant and several tomato slices.
If you are not familiar with growing tomatoes from tomato slices,
you can watch this video here.

I have 4 cucumber plants and planted them all together in one pot.

I devoted one entire pot to dill in hopes of getting a few caterpillars again this year.
If I do, I will need plenty of dill to feed them.

This pot is also filled with dill, 
these are the plants I started in the house.


We planted one package of yellow squash seeds in the ground.
A few years ago I planted it in a pot and it did not do well.
It grew well here last year and we love yellow squash.


This is the back corner of the yard, the purple azaleas are already fading.


The hubs came home from the garden center with this...
a purple humming bird, with wind chimes,
very nice!

And I wanted to show you a better peak at the new birdbath...
it is easy to keep clean and the birds love it!

The hubs planted all the flowers, I'll show you those soon!

17 comments:

Sandi said...

Looking forward to the photos as your garden grows!

Sally said...

I always love seeing what y'all have planted! Love the new birdbath and the wind chimes, Debbie.

We've had so much rain, every single day for a week. The flowers I planted in pots are wilting. :(

xoxo

Farm Girl said...

I love your new pots and your plants are amazing, I will have to learn about planting from tomato slices. How interesting. Your yard looks so pretty. I like your wind chime and your new bird bath. Have a lovely day.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, your plants will be happy with the new soil and pots. I hope they all produce well for you! I like the cute sitting area and your new birdbath. Have a happy day!

Michelle said...

It all looks so great. No doubt you will have good results with all of your work.

Brian King said...

Looking good so far! I've always enjoyed your gardening style. The backyard is gorgeous!

Marie Smith said...

You’re ready! A great beginning Debbie.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Your garden looks to be off to a good start.

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

I love that birdbath

Linda said...

It all looks so lovely! Every single bit! I love the white wash look of your deck and that back corner of your yard - well I think I could live right there!
We go home next week and I hope our garden is producing! A friend has been going over there to water it and then Sunday we had rain. You can’t neglect anything you grow for a single day in Texas! Dill! I forgot that I wanted to plant dill! Hope it’s not too late!

Judy said...

I'm planting vegetables in my big flower pots too.
I will have to be satisfied with my perennials for color.

Unknown said...

Debbie, I just love your new bird bath, and your plants look wonderful. I am trying container gardening for the first time this year. I have tried in vain to "correct" my garden soil at House #2 ever since we moved here 3 years ago, but without success, so we'll see how it goes this year in containers. So far, everything looks fantastic. Fingers crossed!
xo.

Conniecrafter said...

You have a nice big deck, everything looks like it is coming along good. my romaine lettuce is doing well , I planted my spinach seeds the other day but no signs of it coming up yet. I do believe in the right soil as to how they grow. We tried some cheaper stuff this year so we will see how it goes.
Your hummingbird chimes is so sweet!

LeAnn said...

You are such an inspiration Do to you I had a patio garden last year and will try again this year. You gave me some good ideas from this post that I will try. Last year it went fairly well but didn't produce as many tomatoes as I would have liked
I do like your black pots. Ours aren't very as nice. Maybe, I will start over like you did.
I think your hubby is awesome for buying you the purple humming bird with wind chimes. He's a keeper for sure.
Your birdbath is adorable too. Your yard looks lovely. Loving thoughts and hugs for you two!

Kim said...

Those black pots look fabulous against the wood of the deck. You will have a bountiful harvest before you know. Love the seat in the garden. It looks like the perfect spot to sit for a while and enjoy the garden.

Lowcarb team member said...

It all looks good Debbie ...

All the best Jan

Karen Lakis said...

I like the idea of gardening in pots - I think that would work much better where I am and probably a lot less weeding, too! I'll be interested to see how your new pots work out. I like the look of black pots!