Wednesday, October 28, 2020

An Egret & A Heron

 I continue to see Great Egrets...
A large, pure white, heron-like bird, much larger than the Snowy Egret.
According to my bird book, and my recollection, this bird migrates for winter.
I don't think I have ever seen them this late into fall!
Perhaps they are still here because the temperatures have been so warm, 
it feels like summer.

I spotted this one "hiding" in the grass, fishing I presume.



There is always that one blade of grass, branch or stick...always!



It spotted me right away and took off.
And because I am terrible at flight shots, this is what I got.

There was one Great Blue Heron, also hiding out.
Here there were so many blades of grass, I wished there were only one!
This gray-blue heron is large, 
with long legs and neck and a huge dagger-like bill that it uses for fishing.

And yes, that is the only picture I got before it flew off.
They are both so skittish...
compared to the ducks, swans and geese that could care less that you are there and barely move an inch.

I took these pictures when I was out this past Saturday at 
Lake of the Lilies

14 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I think it has been a warm fall, maybe a reason for them to stay later. Beautiful captures of the Egrets and the GB Heron. Take care, enjoy your day!

Anonymous said...

Oh, so lovely.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Great pictures, even with a blade of grass or a few blades of grass.

jp@A Green Ridge said...

Don't fret about the blade (s) of grass, Debbie. That's called "natural environment. Besides, your photos are excellent!!...:)jp

Ida said...

These are such neat birds. I think you got some nice shots of them.

Sally said...

I love the flight shot! Good job, Debbie; as always I appreciate the photography!

xoxo

Marie Smith said...

The white of the egret is so pure. Love these photos!

LeAnn said...

The Egret and Blue Heron birds are so unique. I think you got some great shots. Even the fly away one was awesome.
Blessings and hugs!

Lowcarb team member said...

I enjoyed seeing these photographs.
Many thanks Debbie.

All the best Jan

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

That’s such a good lake ... wonderful birding and the beautiful name of it alone would make it a favorite place. Interesting that the egrets are staying longer ...lucky you! But even the birds are apparently confused by this crazy year!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Oh, I wanted to tell you that earlier today I saw a picture of a great egret-great blue heron morph....I had to go double check which blog it was first ... it was Dina’s City Wildlife , and about her second post down . Really interesting to see. She’s from the Tampa area, so it’s probably an “only in Florida” thing, but still fascinating.

Karen said...

Love them!

Brian King said...

You are fortunate to see the egrets so often! They're more rare around here. I've had that "one blade of grass" many times. LOL! Wonderful photos!

Conniecrafter said...

I think they are enjoying that tall grass, probably makes them feel more secure. They are interesting birds that is for sure, like you said it is hard to sneak up on them to get a good picture but you did good!