Friday, September 18, 2026

Let"s Talk About The Garden

Today, I would like to bore you with the details about this years garden.
My gardens are usually picturesque, filled with the flowers, produce and lots of herbs.
I have been known to brag about my green thumb and share some of the over abundance it produces.
However this year...different story.
I have never planted mint, I have heard mint will take over your garden.
I am here to tell you that basil can also do that.

One tiny plant, turned into this...


I planted 2, here they are in their infancy.


I have these lovely garden markers but this year all I really needed was a marker for my basil.
I have so much basil, I could supply all of New Jersey with it.


So day after day, I cut it back...

rinse it, soak it...

then lay it out to dry.


I've done this 5 times and still there's more.


 - these leaves are huge -

I did not get one tomato, not one.
We watered every day, fertilized at the right intervals, talked to them and still, they did nothing!

I have a total of 5 bags like this, all in the freezer, with lots more to process.

The pot on the right is a beautiful tomato plant that got huge and produced 2 green tomatoes.
Both disappeared.

Next up...a photo dump of pictures I took at various times during the summer, but never shared here.

Red Clover

Butterfly Bush

Black Eyed Susan

Hydrangea 

Red Clover


Coreopsis - Tickseed


Red Clover

Evening Primrose

Vincas

Black Eyed Susan

Knockout Rose


Garden Cosmos


2 Cosmos & Common Zinnia

8 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
Your garden looks wonderful. The basil and tomato plant look huge.
It is weird your tomato plant do not produce any tomatoes.
I love all the flowers and the butterfly bush.
Take care, Happy Friday! Have a great day and a happy weekend.

Rian said...

Debbie, we do plant mint and it does take over the front garden... but we love it and not only do we use it in our sweet tea, but it makes the front walk smell wonderful. And I love your basil... probably a bit more than you need, but still one of my favorite herbs.

Latane Barton said...

What amazing pictures. And yes I would brag about a green thumb too if I had one but alas I do not. Your basil is unbelievable!! Do you make pesto out of it. I have just made my first pesto and love it. I use walnuts instead of pine nuts. Cheaper and it's so good.

Caroline said...

Your garden is beautiful. With beautiful coloured flowers.

HappyK said...

What you did get sure is beautiful!! Love basil. I have a plant of it in my kitchen window that I just pull leaves off when needed. Looks nothing like your plant though!! We got a whole mess of tomatoes from 2 plants and the tomatoes are still coming.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The butterfly bush is gorgeous and my favorite flower is the hydrangea. I love your pretty blooms and your green thumb works for basil! Sweet hugs!

DeniseinVA said...

Your photos are lovely! I loved the flowers and am very appreciative of you talking about your basil. I use a lot of basil but doesn't matter how fresh I get them from the store, they go off so quickly. I told hubby we will be growing them next year. I see you put yours in a planter. That seems like a great idea. I was told by a friend recently that she always picks her tomatoes when they are still green which prevents the squirrels - and others - from getting them. Is this true? When you said your tomatoes disappeared, I wasn't so sure. Anyhow, everything looks great in your garden. Happy weekend!

BeachGypsy said...

Everything you grew is gorgeous ESPECIALLY your hydrangeas and that beautiful purple Old Maid zinnia! We also grew basil this year and harvested LOTS of parsley and it's growing a new batch now! 😆 our " maters" were pretty much a bust, got huge harvestings of ONIONS and peppers! Love seeing your flowers! Our hummingbirds are still here, greedily drinking the nectar I make them and getting ready for their long journey.